[SLUG] Re: Xandros Desktop OS Version 3 is out ...

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Fri Dec 10 2004 - 00:02:41 EST

On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 23:26, John wrote:
> Oh, sorry. There I go, taking things in context again <smacking
> forehead>. Your subject heading said V3, and then you linked to a V3
> press release, and then you linked to a "what's different with V3", I
> just thought you were talking about V3.

I won't even respond.

> I totally understand, and agree. But what about if it was 3 revisions
> back?

Then you'd be talking Xandros pre-releases or Corel Linux. I'm sure
someone's view of Xandros Desktop 2 or 3 would be totally different if
they had never tried it, and had only used Corel Linux or maybe very
early Xandros/LindowsOS prior.

> Or 1 revision with lots of base changes.

I previously used my example of Fedora Core 2. I told people to _avoid_
it unless they wanted to have issue. I myself did _not_ install it
until over 3 months after release, just a week (I believe?) before
Fedora Core 3 hit Test 1.

In the case of Xandros, that would probably be commentating on Xandros
Desktop 2 when you've only used Xandros Linux 1. But it _still_ all
depends on the _commentary_ and what is _actually_ said.

If someone starts firing off how something doesn't have this and
something doesn't do that, when it does, then all they are doing is
exposing their lack of knowledge of a newer, major version. At first,
it's just annoying. But after a few times, then you have to decide
whether it is worth debating or not. Especially when the focus is on
"branding" and not actual "technologies" as implemented.

In the case of Chad, I went overboard. I did it on purpose. I wanted
to see how far his assumptions would go. I'm sorry, and I _readily_
admitted it was a _blantant_ abuse of list ettique. Unfortunately, the
point was totally missed. Knowing this, it just isn't worth it.

> Those of us who are not experts need a formula, or maybe you could
> make up a table, so we could see which topics we are allowed to talk
> about.

Argumentative. I've explained this enough. Your attempts to upset me
will not work. So you might as well drop it.

I offered simple logic. If you haven't used something recent enough,
you're very likely to make assumptions based on a much older release
that are not true at all about a much newer one. Especially under the
context of "branding" and other "marketing" aspects.

Focusing on technologies, and being current on what distributions are
using those technologies, how, and how they fit, are the most effective
way to understand details. Because even if we think we are assuming
correctly, and we think we are being objective, our statements will show
ignorance if we do not have first-hand experience. I know this from
experience myself.

Because I'm not an expert. I'm not smart. I just know what I know.
And I know better to shutup when I don't. Because all I'm going to do
is piss people off with my ignorance when I do. And if I don't let my
ego go, I'm going to dig a big hole with that ignorance if someone
actually experienced with what I'm talking about decides to respond.

Everyone can contribute equally. But everyone needs to be respectful of
others. Professing knowledge we actually do not have is not a form of
respect. We all slip up. We all make mistakes. I do regularly. But I
admit I am in error, take the knowledge of others to heart, and let my
ego go. Otherwise I'd just end up dig a whole that only shows I
consider my ego more important that respecting those with more,
first-hand experience.

Now, what do you want to get out of this conversation?

--
Bryan J. Smith                                 b.j.smith@ieee.org
Beware of advocates who justify their preference not in terms of