Re: [SLUG] Re: Xandros Desktop OS Version 3 is out ...

From: John (nesredep@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 10 2004 - 00:44:13 EST

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 23:48:50 -0500, Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 23:17, John wrote:
> > Yes, you're making a BIG assumption. And you're very wrong. In fact,
> > and coincidentally, I've fighting with winmodem issues on another
> > distro recently,
>
> Distro choice should make _0_ difference when it comes to winmodems.
> All Linux distributions have the same driver compatibility potential.
> So the only difference is the installer.

You make it sound like the installer is no more important than, say,
what color the installation CD is. If we limit ourselves to Debian,
the installer is a big factor that makes one distro different than
another. (By "installer" I include WHAT gets installed, and HOW it
gets installed)

You may not realize this--your expertise may blind you to this
fact--but when us mortals install distro A, and our wireless card
works, and we install distro B, and our wireless card doesn't work,
that's A BIG DEAL! And just as you say, one distro (esp limiting
discussion to Debian) is much the same as another, so INSTALLER is a
BIG DEAL! Of course, to somebody more expert, fixing distro B simply
means another five minutes work, etc. But sometimes experts forget
that mortals use Linux too.

> I don't look back. I just look at what is going on now. Corel recently
> released an update to see how many people were interested in a new set

It's often worth looking back. Corel started with their graphics
package, and it's the only thing they ever did right. Then they tried
selling CDROM drives. Dropped out of that. Then they wrote SCSI
driver software. Dropped out of that; sold it to Adaptec. They sold
stock photographs. They bought the desktop publishing software--I
forget the name. There's probably more, but I can't remember it all.
The company has lost money like water through a sieve.

My point is simply this: why would I want to spend a lot of time
and/or money investing in a product/vendor if I was relatively certain
(based on past history) that the vendor is going to pull out before
long.

> Corel really wasn't in the game long enough. Every new distribution...

I rest my case.

John