Re: [SLUG] Is the impression of Linux just the installer? -- WAS: Xandros Desktop OS Version 3 is out ...

From: Ronald KA4INM Youvan (ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Dec 10 2004 - 16:16:22 EST

> In a nutshell, people new to Linux should have their Linux "factory
> installed." This means going to an InstallFest, or having someone else
> experienced with Linux assist them during the install -- especially
> someone who has used the distribution before. Windows is Windows, Linux
> is Linux -- and Windows croaks under the same constraints as Linux
> (installing on an existing system, with no driver disks / only
> "official" drivers, etc...).

   This proves I'm a bumbass, I didn't know any of the above.
I couldn't get half of my ikons from being black in Winblows (Ver 3.11).
My chums had more groups displayed, more video card memory, ran a higher
resolution and had all of their ikons colored plus they had more free recourses.
I just couldn't figure it out, so I sent off for Slackware (Ver 3.5) in 1997.
   I installed it by my self, and after 3 tries* it worked, it worked better
than the Winblows that it replaced. I haven't looked back and I'm as happy
as a dead pig in the sunshine. I have been 100% M$ free since July 1997.
   Everybody seems to say Slackware is NOT for beginners, but I didn't know
that either. I have a little patience. (we are never born with it, we must
develop it)

   I'm so dumb I didn't know Slackware came with an installer (installpkg)
and a upgrade installer (upgradepkg) until about two years ago.
   All I did was download the "tarballs" (because it says they are for Slackware)
then ./configure, make, makeinstall and it was done. No sweat. I learned this
by reading "INSTALL" in the package.

   I think I learned a bit about how LINUX works from installing and configuring
it. (I could be wrong)
   I have installed Winblows (3.1 and 3.11) hundreds of times at work (just
helping out before we had an IT slug) and I think I learned nothing.
I'm so dumb I can't figure out why anyone would want someone else to install it
on their confusor. It's painless.
* with no computer training I had no idea what the menu selections meant.

--
        73 (= Best Regards) de: Ron ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com
     100% LINUX, since July, 1997   SENT Time and Date are UTC