Re: [SLUG] Re: Xandros Desktop OS Version 3 is out ...

From: John (nesredep@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 10 2004 - 20:12:27 EST

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 14:44:59 -0500, Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com> wrote:
> John wrote:
>
> > Anyway, lest this turn into a POLITICS discussion, let me tell you
> > that I found the correct ISO file for Debian Sarge install, and burned
> > a cd, and successfully installed. I ended up with a sort of
> > Gnome-looking thing, with a ton of apps installed. I thought I was
> > going to have to ask for each app individually.
>
> Did you use tasksel during install? Or, by "I thought I was going to
> have to ask for each app individually", do you mean that you chose
> applications with apt-get and didn't have to worry about dependencies?
>
> . . . or do you mean something else?
>
> I'm curious about how you ended up with "a sort of Gnome-looking thing".

To the best of my recollection, there came a time when I got a screen
with about ten choices. I remember desktop manager,and database,
because those were the only ones I chose. I expected that it would
ask me which desktop, and which database, but it just went ahead and
installed gnome and postgresql.

That's not really a big deal, but it did end up not configuring the
screen properly; max res is 600/800. And kppp crashes instantly when
I start it. I haven't had time to work with it. I'm guessing I need
to run xconfig or something like that, but I'd have to dock them some
brownie points for not getting it right.

The only thing I used apt-get for was to install Mozilla. At that
point I didn't realize that a whole big passel of applications were
already installed!

I didn't really notice tasksel, that you mentioned. I must admit, it
was late, and I didn't do any of those silly things like reading the
README. I might do it from scratch again, to see what else I can
learn.

John