Re: [SLUG] Samba as a PDC

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Wed Dec 15 2004 - 11:04:51 EST

On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 09:01, Backward Thinker wrote:
> An ldap backend would be overkill for the environment you
> describe. I would first just check out these two sections
> of Samba by Example (Samba-Guide):
>
> http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/small.html
>
> and if you want more:
>
> http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/secure.html
>
> Those installations use the smbpasswd and tdbsam backends, respectively. BTW, I don't think Samba by Example mentions
> LDAP until the 500 user office scenario :).
>
> The great thing about Samba by Example is John Terpstra wrote
> it so you can pretty much choose any "closest-fit" chapter and
> read it from there without having to read the whole book (though
> it wouldn't hurt!).
>
> ~ Daniel

Daniel,

I started in by skimming the contents and the only section that talked
about a PDC in it's summary was the 500 user section (Samba-3 PDC
Configuration). Actually as I got into it it talked about how "Stan has
talked you into a horrible compromise" and "Because of the refusal to
use an LDAP (ldapsam) passdb backend at this time, the only choice that
makes sense with 500 users is to use the tdbsam passwd backend." It
also talked about the limitations of having a BDC with tdbsam to which I
was a little concerned. Further on they start discussing LDAP in Ch 6
"Making Users Happy". Upon reading you reply and revisiting the Secure
Office Networking section I did notice the use of Domain Logins. That
seems to be a better fit given that there's no LDAP and we only have
about 90 users.

>From there I paused and decided to open up my htmldocs dir and start
from the beginning by reading O'reillys Using Samba (thanks to
SuSE/Samba for including it). In Ch. 1 it breaks down NetBIOS and the
SMB block and walks you from the beginning. Some of it I already know
but I figured I'd get a good refresher and it'll help me make some
decisions. Initially from the howto's I was expecting only to have to
change the domain parameters in the conf, create a few logon shares and
resolve the samba box. Since it's a little more involved, I'm going to
take the time to thoroughly read up.

Thanks again for your help.

Mike Branda Jr.