Re: [SLUG] Samba as a PDC

From: Backward Thinker (backwardthinker@juno.com)
Date: Wed Dec 15 2004 - 09:01:34 EST

> Ahhh.....the ever so lengthy Samba-Guide. I didn't do the
> guide before, just the ever so short how-to's. At first
> glance it looks like they what you to implement an
> openLDAP-Samba PDC arrangement. Boy do I have _a_lot_ of
> reading to do. I'll get back to ya'll later.

An ldap backend would be overkill for the environment you
describe. I would first just check out these two sections
of Samba by Example (Samba-Guide):

http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/small.html

and if you want more:

http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/secure.html

Those installations use the smbpasswd and tdbsam backends, respectively. BTW, I don't think Samba by Example mentions
LDAP until the 500 user office scenario :).

The great thing about Samba by Example is John Terpstra wrote
it so you can pretty much choose any "closest-fit" chapter and
read it from there without having to read the whole book (though
it wouldn't hurt!).

~ Daniel

Juno Gift Certificates
Give the gift of Internet access this holiday season.
http://www.juno.com/give