[SLUG] Simple problem wierd solution.

From: Robert Snyder (res03q8w@gte.net)
Date: Tue Dec 21 2004 - 08:39:17 EST

So I normally tri-boot between windows xp, Slackware 10, and now Debian
Sarge. Anyway I was having a problem with sound control in gnome.
While I could use console mixers and Mixers for KDE I could not get the
little volume applet in the upper right corner in gnome or the gnome
mixer to work.... It would tell me no mixer available, or no sound
device deteched. So what I did was go in to #debian on freenode, not
usually the nicest place in freenode but I knew if I wanted that sloved
last night I would have to ask some one there. So post my question
about sound issue. Nice bloke directhex, happen to go through and have
me check things like was I a member of the audio group. I was so that
was not the problem then we did a quick check of the modules. That all
seemed fine. Then he has do you have gstreamer plugins installed? I
said no. He tells me to apt-get the gstreramer plugins and try again.
Sure enough my audio problem with the gnome mixer not picking up on my
sound card was because of not having gstreamer plugins installed. I am
very happy that it was something so simple , yet I am very confused on
installing the gstreamer plugins made it work. It was a busy channel
and other people needed help so I was not about to take up his time.
But thought we could discuss it here or someone could explain that too
me. Wanted to get this all down on the list so if some other bafoon has
a simular problem they might find there answer here. ( assuming they
are willing to read through my ramble.)