Re: [SLUG] A real HARD(ware) question

From: Pete S. (linux@myraandpete.net)
Date: Wed Dec 29 2004 - 16:27:02 EST

Branko wrote:

> First of all:
> Happy Holidays to everyone!
> This might not be a Linux ONLY question, but I'm running out of
> ideas.....
> I have (a friends') 'puter here that will not recognize any keyboard
> (trying boot to WinX"Pee" or Knoppix 3.6 Live CD). Upon close
> inspection, I noticed that their original PS/2 keyboard had one of the
> pins bent; I straightened it with tweezers, it worked fine for 2
> reboots. Third time the Mobo sent out a few "Error beeps"
> (unfortunately I did not write them down and can't reproduce them).
> Booted to OS, but no keyboard. Then I hooked up USB keyboard, it
> worked OK, until the next reboot. Now when it boots, I can't access
> the BIOS; it boots straight to the OS (either XPee or Knoppix). The
> OEM (eMachin"ezzz") support guy suggested to remove CMOS battery for a
> couple of hours: did not help any. After the system boots to OS, it
> will not shutdown completely: the HDD light stays on and the PS fan
> runs (and even the CD-R drive will open up when the eject button is
> pressed).
> I measured the voltages from PS to the MOBO ATX connector, everything
> seems OK.
> My Q is: How can I test the PS/2 connector on the MOBO to see if it is
> shorted out inside? Is there a way to replace (re solder) the
> mouse/key connectors on a MOBO (replacing the MOBO is a last resort:
> OEM Windooze)?
> I have been Googling for two days now, but can't find anything of help.
> Any advice or suggestions or direction is more than welcome.
>
> Branko

Sounds like it is heading in to a MB replacement. Keyboards work fine on
other systems... Most MB's have CMOS reset jumper (which would set the
MB to factor default, and wipe PW). Never have soldered the PS2 port...
but might not matter since you have problems with the USB keyboard, as
well. If u have a spare pwer supply, might try in that. Does not sound
like that is the problem, but on a rare case, a flakey power supply will
cause all of the above mentioned (plus, is cheaper to replace than a MB).