Re: [SLUG] A real HARD(ware) question

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Dec 29 2004 - 16:47:54 EST

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004, Branko wrote:

> I have (a friends') 'puter here that will not recognize any keyboard
> (trying boot to WinX"Pee" or Knoppix 3.6 Live CD). Upon close
> inspection, I noticed that their original PS/2 keyboard had one of the
> pins bent; I straightened it with tweezers, it worked fine for 2
> reboots. Third time the Mobo sent out a few "Error beeps"
> (unfortunately I did not write them down and can't reproduce them).
> Booted to OS, but no keyboard. Then I hooked up USB keyboard, it worked
> OK, until the next reboot. Now when it boots, I can't access the BIOS;

Might require a PS/2 keyboard to access the BIOS. Maybe the motherboard
doesn't activate the USB ports until _after_ it exits the BIOS? Have you
ever been able to activate the BIOS with a USB keyboard?

> My Q is: How can I test the PS/2 connector on the MOBO to see if it is
> shorted out inside?

I think you need a PS/2 loopback connector; at least you do for testing
serial ports. Haven't found any software to perform PS/2 diagnostics, but
your local computer shop should be able to help you out.

> Is there a way to replace (re solder) the mouse/key connectors on a MOBO
> (replacing the MOBO is a last resort: OEM Windooze)?

What does the OEM OS have to do with it, unless you don't have any Windows
disks and it doesn't have the stuff on the hard drive?

A: Because it looks dumb and is hard to read. Q: Why is top-posting wrong? -- from lots42@xxx.com