Re: [SLUG] DVD question

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Sun Jan 09 2005 - 03:39:41 EST

On Sunday 09 January 2005 01:59, Maureen wrote:
> Hi all,
> Hope your holidays were peaceful and full of fun. I worked new
> years eve and it was not either. anyway....
>
> I am getting ready to rebuild my AMD Duron 800 with FIC
> motherboard to an Abit KV7-V motherboard and AMD Athlon XP 2900+
> processor. I will use my existing Floppy, Sony CD-RW. My question
> is this. If I get a DVD+R combo with CD-RW does it do a good job at
> both DVD and CD or is it best to get just a DVD? I know this is
> probably a minor question but I have not ventured into DVD yet. Also
> what diff is there in flat ATA cables and the rounded ones. I will
> also be using my existing hd's. I am replacing my power supply and
> cables and one of my case fans (it has become very noisy).
> I use Mandarke 10.1. I will also get a new video card. I am not
> big into games but do have some. I have heard how hard it is to get
> nVidia to work that I am shying away from it. Any suggestions would
> be greatly appreciated. I do edit photos and do a lot of graphics.
> TIA

Maureen,

Just off the top of my head, getting late, if you are going to be
running a 64 bit AMD then you MUST go with the nvidia cards. None of
the others support this config. I also had these same trepidations but
switched to the nvidia. Not a big deal to set up. I am running SuSE and
know nothing of Mandrake so your mileage may vary. Nvivia is the only
card maker that fully supports Linux and their drivers are available on
their website.

Go with the DVD rw + - whatever options you can find and it will
support. Will do everything you need it to do and is the latest
technology. Keep the CD-RW if you have room for it. I have both and use
it to copy/write from disk to disk.

Good luck and have fun.

Bob S.