Re: [SLUG] Masquerading as me

From: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Sun Jan 09 2005 - 06:19:53 EST

Paul M Foster wrote:

>I'm getting a lot of bounce messages from destinations on big networks.
>Someone is spamming random names on large networks like hawaii.rr.net
>and cox.net using my email address as the "From".

You can inform the admins ("abuse@") for rr.net and cox.net, but that's
about it.

Natch, our heavily-published corporate email site aliases (editors@,
etc.) get abused like this all the time. I have a canned email reply I
send to people who complain to use about the spam "we're" sending, and
we filter heavily. That's about all we can do.

So you know, most of the zombies used to do these Joe Jobs (trade slang
for fake "from" email addresses, because the first known victim was
named Joe) have been in China, S. Korea or former Soviet Union
countires. We used to trace them and inform admins, but no one in those
countries ever responds, assuming their admins can read English email.

Be careful about blocking originitating IPs. As you may recall, for a
while last year I had trouble getting through to this list from Verizon
DSL. They'd given me an IP that had gotten onto several black hole lists
because a former user had run a (no doubt unwitting) spam zombie on it.

And emailing so-and-so@cox.net -- the user -- usually does no good.
Their email inboxes are likely to be full of bounces already.

Welcome to the modern Internet. Filter, grin, and bear.

- Robin