Re: [SLUG] DVD question

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Mon Jan 10 2005 - 11:52:58 EST

On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 10:08, Levi Bard wrote:
> > +R/RW are more compatible with DVD players especially older ones.
>
> Hmm, this has been the opposite of my experience.

I agree...from my experience with all 4 formats (+R,+RW,-R,-RW) in the
hundreds of DVD's we burn at the office, and according to most
publications I've read, write once -R's (not RW's) are the best for
video and backward compatibility. +R's are better for data as the media
design and write method are more fit for chunked packet writing. If you
have a few extra hours..... back in September there was a long grueling
thread on this to which most of what was said is accurate. See the list
archives (http://slug.archives.nks.net/List/slug.archive.0409/) on the
subject "Re: [SLUG] Re: pseudo block device piping to smb or nfs". Make
sure you read the Re: Slug Re: one about halfway down starting on Sep.
9th. It discusses the way things are written to the different types of
media.

Good Luck with the rebuild!!

Mike Branda Jr.