Re: Now: SpamAssassin and Evolution Was: [SLUG] Spam Lotto

From: Logan Tygart (thelogan@allyourbase-arebelongto.us)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2005 - 23:18:54 EST

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 22:29 -0500, Paul M Foster wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 09:31:42PM -0500, Logan Tygart wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 12:34 -0500, Eben King wrote:
> > > On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Richard Smoot wrote:
<snip>
> Hooking it up to Evolution and dropping procmail??!! Argh!! One of my
> criteria in selecting an MUA is whether it plays nice with procmail.
> Nothing can filter with the complexity that procmail's capable of.

I used to use Procmail/Mutt, as well as, Procmail/Pine, but I switched
to Evolution back in 2001, when it had a "Teen Spirit" like splash
screen. I needed something to convert my Windoze clients and soothe
them at the same time. Kmail didn't cut it for your hardcore
Outlook/Express user and Evolution passed for those clients/lusers.

I receive about the same volume of legitmate, daily email that you do.
I replaced all of the filters I used to use with procmail, rather
quickly, (in less than 10 minutes, if I recall correctly) with
Evolution's filters and when ever spam comes to my inbox, using the junk
feature of Evolution 2.0, in combination with SpamAssassin3, has, so
far, ensured no further incursions of similiar spam with zero false
positives.

Then again, I am inordinately careful in how I use my email address and
there may be a wee touch of Irish luck. Your mileage may vary. Of
course, if you post to the Debian lists, as I have been known to
occasionally do, you will enjoy the whims of 419ers and lottery
scammers.

In all honesty, I really do not need to use fetchmail any longer, but I
like to see the little GNOME inbox monitor make the penguin dance, when
I do not have Evolution open.

Anyway, enough of this nonsense, my previous post was just to
demonstrate to folks how to integrate SpamAssassin into Evolution.

The Logan

--
22:50:01 up 33 days, 14:22, 4 users, load average: 0.47, 0.79, 0.52
We used to have a lubricant called "gorilla snot" that we'd put on wires when we knew they were going to be hard pulls. -- Paul M. Foster, SLUG President