Re: [SLUG] <OT> RIP Microsoft?

From: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2005 - 14:16:21 EST

savatage wrote:

> I think a show more focused to the Desktop for everyone would be
> something different.
> Have software writers from Source Forge get together and show off
> stuff for end users.
> Also have the user friendly desktop OS people there as well. Like
> Mepis, and Xandros
> etc.,

Xandros and MEPIS were both at LinuxWorld, and I gave an SRO talk on
teaching desktop Linux to new users. It's obviously a popular topic.

There *was* a Desktop Linux Consortium that put on a few shows, but
Michael Robertson took over the group and turned the conferences into a
Linspire promo events. I didn't bother to go or send anyone else to the
last one, which was in San Diego a few weeks ago.

> How ever no one has wanted to do something like this in the Tampa
> Area, it's always up North our out West.

Well.... *I'd* like to see one around here, or at least in Orlando or
Miami or even Atlanta. And in Detroit, Chicago, Denver, and other places
that never see them, too.

The problem is that putting on this kind of show takes a lot of work and
time, plus an investment of at least $10,000 to kick it off. All the
OSTG staff is already overworked enough, and we aren't in that business
anyway; our time and budget is best spent making our sites better, and
most of them can use one hell of a lot of improvement. You can only do
so much, and all that...

- Robin