Re: [SLUG] <OT> RIP Microsoft?

From: Larry Brown (larry.brown@dimensionnetworks.com)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2005 - 18:12:41 EST

On Sun, 2005-02-20 at 14:16, Robin 'Roblimo' Miller wrote:

> The problem is that putting on this kind of show takes a lot of work and
> time, plus an investment of at least $10,000 to kick it off. All the
> OSTG staff is already overworked enough, and we aren't in that business
> anyway; our time and budget is best spent making our sites better, and
> most of them can use one hell of a lot of improvement. You can only do
> so much, and all that...

I think the answer to the problem is to work on impressing the committee
that coordinates the direction for kernel development that Linux World
needs to create an arena for us. Since they are the most influential
group involved, they could help move some areas in directions we want.
That way the corporate guys can pay for the bulk of the conference and
we can still have our employers flip the bill to have us attend.

Obviously not all of us are fortunate enough to have an employer that
will pay us to attend and so local conferences would be ideal. I also
like the idea of having local LUGs having a chance to get involved as
the conferences goes from City to City around the country. I would just
like to see one culmination of the global interests in one spot though.
Getting Linux World to revamp their tactics sounds like a worth while
effort.

Also, the more we push for alternate conferences, the more we spread out
the exhibitors. So one might elect to go to Linux World and another to
Source Forge Annual and yet another to Linux Developers Annum. So as an
attendee you would have to choose one and miss the content of the others
etc.

Sounds like we've moved out of this thread topic. I should bash MS
while I'm here... MS Sucks! ;-)