Re: [SLUG] Ubuntu, St. Pete meeting.

From: Norbert Omar Cartagena (slug@gnorb.net)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2005 - 23:53:33 EST

Dylan Hardison wrote:

>I finally got a set of Ubuntu CDs, so I'll bring them to the St. Pete
>meeting monday,
>if anybody is interested.
>This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked
>Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages
>posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the
>official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.

*heh* I remember trying this distro a few weeks back. Posted a quickie
review on my site (http://www.gnorb.net/?postid=35). If you haven't yet
tried it, would say go ahead and give it a whack. Maybe y'all'll have
better luck than myself with this one. :-\ (I'll stick to Mandrake for
now.)

If you don't want to go read the whole review, here was my conclusion:

--------
*Conclusion*
Basically, it boils down to this: if you're setting up the computer for
a complete computer illiterate, then this might be one to consider. If
you're an advanced user who is comfortable working with Debian, this one
might be right up your alley. If you're in that big hump in the middle
of the bell curve (ie. the other 80%) then you can probably forget this
one. If you want a user friendly Debian-based distro, spend the $10 and
get yourself a copy of SimplyMepis. Heck, I think they even have a free
version.

As far as Ubuntu goes, I don't think I'll be using it much just yet. The
distro's well on its way, though, and it'll be one to watch in the
future. The distro has a "feel good" aura around it, and that's enough
for me to give it another try -- in about six months.

Gnorb