Re: [SLUG] {SPAM?} Linux gui programming

From: Daniel Jarboe (daniel.jarboe@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 14 2005 - 22:13:43 EST

> For doing small (home/hobby type) gui base projects, which language would you
> recommend? I've been looking at Qt, GTK, and Java, and each one gets touted
> as the best.

I'm trying not to let this turn into a cop out answer, but there are a
huge number of
combinations, and each has its critics (and fanboys). Do you have any
ideas at all
what scripting or programming language(s) you'd like to delve into?
That will help
somewhat narrow down some of the widget libraries at your disposal... from there
it will be easier to suggest some of the "good fit" ones.

Also, I understand small gui projects are your immediate goal, but are you
interested in any other things as well? Future projects, etc? How
important are
things like GUI painters / code-generators? Sounds like cross
platform doesn't weigh
heavily, how about maturity / user-base? Are these going to be just for you?

~ Daniel