Re: [SLUG] Web Dev/Standards Question

From: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Mon Mar 21 2005 - 21:18:01 EST

>Rob I would take you up on your offer of chewing him out, except that
>this is a volunteer site being done for gratis (and taking more of my
>time than my paid work). However would anyone mind if I showed him
>this thread? Personally I think that this is a case of "Not Invented
>Here" syndrome and "Flashy == Usable". I couldn't directly argue
>against it because I am one of the few web users who cannot view flash
>ie. AMD64 in fully 64-bit mode.

No chewing out necessary, just some mild enlightening. And possibly a
touch of the old cluestick. And if that doesn't work we call in Logan
and his (shudder) Shillaleigh of Reality.

Seriously, though, tell your friend that almost all hugely popular Web
sites, from Google to Yahoo to CNN to whatever other example he wants to
pick, use very simple HTML and CSS, with only minimal Javascript -- if
any -- in their navigation schemes. You might also mention the WWW's
biggest blind users, AKA "search engines," which can't read Flash any
more than a human blind person viewing a site with software that
translates text to speech. Making an all-Flash site is like telling
search engines you don't want to be indexed.

And if none of this works, tell him we'll report him to Jeffrey Zeldman,
who will take away his Web Design License!

- Robin