Re: [SLUG] Web Dev/Standards Question

From: Christopher Hotchkiss (christopher.hotchkiss@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 21 2005 - 20:30:51 EST

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 18:53:10 -0500, Robert Snyder <res03q8w@gte.net> wrote:
> Robin 'Roblimo' Miller wrote:
>

> >> Basically we are having
> >> a large disagreement about the use of Macromedia Flash in the site. He
> >> is arguing that the use of Flash is not a problem and it should be
> >> used as a significant portion of the site navigation. My big compliant
> >> however is that Javascript and/or XHTML with CSS would do a lot
> >> better and be more maintainable.
> >>

> > The author of "the Online Rules of Successful Companies" (Financial
> > Times Prentice Hall, 2002) came out firmly against Flash-dependent
> > site navigation and pointed out that *no* mega-successful sites use
> > Flash as anything other than a decorative augmentation. Said author
> > (me) hasn't changed his mind since that book came out, either.
> >
> >> Is it crazy to want everything on the site that affects the page to be
> >> editable by a plain text file?
> >>

> > I am a world-class dammit expert on this stuff who has been hired as a
> > Web usability consultant by more than a few Global 1000 companies to
> > tell them exactly what you are trying to tell your web designer. For a
> > suitable fee I'll happily drive to Tampa from Bradenton and tell him
> > or her in person, too. :)
> >
> Robin, but look at following great sites
>
> nickjr.com
> toondisney.com
> hamsterdance.com
> cartoon network.com
>
> There are plenty of great flash sites they all happen to appeal to one
> little kid age group.
>
> This is really just to prove your point.
>
> Why mess with flash though at least with XHTML and CSS if you make a
> typo is easly corrected. Flash you have to open macromedia flash again
> make your correction compile the new flash crap and upload it vs a small
> typo say in the css file.
>
> I work on two sites where the primary user is simply to put it a nice
> way stupid. Everything I use is simply css and some xhtml. Now I do a
> have few pieces of flash as augement the site. But it accounts for less
> than 2% of the site.\
>
> "Wee" Robby Snyder
>

> > Robin 'Roblimo' Miller
> > Editor in Chief, OSTG
> > Bradenton, FL

Rob I would take you up on your offer of chewing him out, except that
this is a volunteer site being done for gratis (and taking more of my
time than my paid work). However would anyone mind if I showed him
this thread? Personally I think that this is a case of "Not Invented
Here" syndrome and "Flashy == Usable". I couldn't directly argue
against it because I am one of the few web users who cannot view flash
ie. AMD64 in fully 64-bit mode.

As always thanks for the help!

--
Christopher Hotchkiss