Re: [SLUG] ifconfig not gettting set

From: Scott Piper (piper@ij.net)
Date: Mon May 09 2005 - 02:24:58 EDT

I agree with Russell. Debian distributions use the
/etc/network/interfaces to set up the networking. You should have the
option "auto" before eth0 to have it set up automatically on boot up.
See man interfaces for an explanation.

btw, if you really have to you could use a pre-up option and run things
before the network is brought up. I did that once when I had a USB
network adapter on a semi portable machine. If it was plugged in when I
booted then networking was set up (I checked /proc to see if the usb
adapter was present). If not, then I didn't try to set up the
networking on boot.

Also, if you are playing with the links in /etc/rc?.d in a Debian
distro, you should use update-rc.d to do it.

scott