Re: [SLUG] ifconfig not gettting set

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Mon May 09 2005 - 07:54:16 EDT

On 5/9/05, Scott Piper <piper@ij.net> wrote:
> I agree with Russell. Debian distributions use the
> /etc/network/interfaces to set up the networking. You should have the
> option "auto" before eth0 to have it set up automatically on boot up.
> See man interfaces for an explanation.
>
> btw, if you really have to you could use a pre-up option and run things
> before the network is brought up. I did that once when I had a USB
> network adapter on a semi portable machine. If it was plugged in when I
> booted then networking was set up (I checked /proc to see if the usb
> adapter was present). If not, then I didn't try to set up the
> networking on boot.
>
> Also, if you are playing with the links in /etc/rc?.d in a Debian
> distro, you should use update-rc.d to do it.

Here is what is in my interfaces file:
root@fpac-dev:/etc/network# less interfaces
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
# automatically added when upgrading
auto lo eth0
#iface lo inet loopback
# Wireless Card interface setup
#iface wlan0 inet static
# address 192.168.1.150
# network 192.168.1.0
# netmask 255.255.255.0
# broadcast 192.168.1.255
# gateway 192.168.1.1
# wireless essid wireless
# wireless_mode managed
#

iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.105
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.1.0
interfaces

I know that it can be called as if I do either ifup eth0 it will read it and
set the parameters for the above or if I do a networking restart again it
will read interfaces and set things up properly, it appears to me to be
a timing issue, i.e. it is trying to set the networking prior to the pcmcia
nic card being ready.

--
Chuck Hast
To paraphrase my flight instructor;