Re: [SLUG] Linksys WRT54G Firmware

From: Donald E Haselwood (dhaselwood@verizon.net)
Date: Thu May 12 2005 - 14:41:41 EDT

Matt,

I've been using sveasoft on four of my WRT54G's. The version I'm using is
Satori-4_0. The latest public release is Alchemy. I haven't tried it.
(Talisman is the newest version.)

I think there is an issue of loading software that exceeds 3.6Mb (if I
remember the figure correctly). It can't be done (successfully) via the http
interface; instead TFTP is required.

One thing I noticed with Satori in AP mode (router), was that when Verizon
(DSL) changed the IP address the router was not picking up the change. I had
to cycle the power. It must have had something to do with Verizon changing
something, as it had been working when the addresses were a different group.

It sounds like your unit is not really "bricked" in that it is "somewhat"
working, so you ought to be able to load software (e.g. via TFTP). If it
really gets bricked (and not smoked) one can make up an EJTAG cable and
reload the loader.

If you are only interested in using it as plain router, then the Linksys
software should be sufficient, though again, reloading may require using
TFTP. As I remember I tried going back to Linksys via the http interface and
got an error message about "wrong version," so it might take some "messing
around" to get it loaded.

BTW, I lost 2 routers (as well as some hubs) last year to lightning surges.
Surprisingly, the DSL modem survived (which means they must have some
built-in protection). After the 2nd one blew, I put in surge protection
"everywhere"--spark-gap on the phone line where it comes in, and ethernet
surge protectors on each of the ports that are connected, and of course the
power is surge protected, with all connected to common ground. I'll see how
it survives this summer.

Don