Re: [SLUG] Funnies with logoutd

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Jun 04 2005 - 20:04:51 EDT

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005, Chuck Hast wrote:

> Went to log into a machine that I use as a packet switch I got some weird
> messages and noticed that there was a error message on 'logoutd' in the
> start up screens. I went and looked at it, it is S20logoutd in the rc5.d file
> it is pointed to logoutd in /etc/init.d
> logoutd in that directory was a empty file, logoutd is suppose to handle
> functions dealing with login timeout and other things. I am trying to figure
> out what happened to it, in the mean time I have tried to get a new file
> but to no avail.
> I tried apt-get and also went in and looked on the cd... It is nowhere to
> be found. Any ideas? I am running Knoppix, I think this is 3.3 on this
> machine.

Evidence shows logoutd is part of the shadow password utilities. Their home
"page" is ftp://ftp.pld.org.pl/software/shadow/ . Maybe somebody didn't
like being logged out, and exploited a bug in some program to overwrite
/etc/rc5.d/S20logoutd ? Change wouldn't show until reboot. I'd find out
how that was done and fix it, or else it'll happen again.

TAURUS:  You will never find true happiness - what you gonna
do, cry about it?  The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up,
do a bunch of stuff and then go back to sleep.  -- Weird Al