Re: [SLUG] [Fwd: Sarasota Downton Unplugged Wi-Fi]

From: Robert Snyder (res03q8w@gte.net)
Date: Fri Jun 10 2005 - 10:50:47 EDT

SOTL wrote:

>On Thursday 09 June 2005 16:26, Craig Zeigler wrote:
>

>>SOTL wrote:

>>>The only thing that bothers me about government offering internet service
>>>is that then government believes that government has the right to filter
>>>what one may do, view, say or listen to.
>>>
>>>Frank
>>>-----------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked
>>>Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages
>>>posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the
>>>official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.
>>>

>>I think thats true of anyone providing something like that. If I
>>permitted anonymous access to the internet through my WAPs, then I have
>>the right to filter what you can and (more importantly) can't see since
>>it can reflect on me.
>>
>>If someone is doing something evil on the Internet and originating from
>>my network, I'm partly responsible for that content.
>>

>If the government is providing internet access to the citizens of a location
>then the only way that that activity is being supported is through taxes
>which means that: first this is not a private network so you do not have the
>right to filter content and second that if you do not choose to use the
>existing public network then you do not get your taxes back. The effect is
>then that a small group of wackos have the gall to limit what you can view,
>hear, or access while forcing you to pay for the privilege of limiting your
>rights on a network that you are part owner of. This of course is the same
>situation that currently exist with public schools. One should likewise
>expect similar results high cost and poor quality and an inability to escape.
>
>Frank

Damn right schools use fliters. Last thing we need is little suszy 6
year old at Tutle elementry trying to find something on Ponys on the
internet and end up getting animal porn.

Craig had touched on this on his post, but who has the right to bitch
about something given out free. Yeah I was downtown yesterday for
lunch and connected to either unplugged or one of the many wifi spots
downtown that are unprotected. I tend not to check email on these type
of open systems because I dont know who monitoring what and last thing I
need is cached pages sitting on some one servers of my gmail account.
But if the government says hey we will give you free wifi but you cant
look at porn or download warez or do xzy who am I to complain it free
and you get what you pay for. If I want to look at all the porn and
download all the warez and other crap that the free wifi does not
provide I will simply do what I have always done pay for dsl service
through verizon. only time I will have an issue with the governments
free wifi is it drove private isps out of business which i just dont see.