Re: [SLUG] Apple shifts to Intel

From: Robert Snyder (robertsnyder@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Jun 11 2005 - 15:25:02 EDT

The All knowing WeeRobby will make his predictions

Apple is going just not a platform change but a whole new way of doing things.

What I read from various rumor mills is that the reworking of OSX for
intel also is now including a reworking of Apple's Open Firmware to
allow standard PC Graphic card vesa bios to work instead of the custom
bios that current mac video cards require. Why because it cheaper
that way when they dont have to have a custom bios for the graphics
card written. Also Apple most likely feels comfortable with this do to
ATI/Nvidia push in the past 4 years with unified driver base. The
whole 1 Driver to rule them all concept make things much easier to
deal with.

OSX has already have support off many off the shelf pc cards. Here is
a small list of what I have plug into my old mac 7300 with 300mhz g3
upgrade card with 10.3

Most PCI 10/100/ network cards. Right now I have a with amazing
support for cards like 3com and chipsets based off realtek work.

Sound is ify at best. my sblive card was recongized and apple had a
driver for it. it involved a littlle moving a file from one folder to
another for it to work but it worked kinda sound came out but i think
there was a conflict with the onboard sound. Or an xpostfacto issue.

SCSI cards work.... now I cant boot off a pc scsi card in the mac but
osx will recongize the card after boot and then show the device
connected to it.

IDE cards none that i found as of yet. seem to be deteched in 10.3

USB/Firewire card not marked for osx seem to work find in osx again
after some file moving and some tweaking.

The key is that apple is not going to run on generic pcs by there
choosing what will happen is someone who deals with openfirmware like
people who deal with amiga one boards with devise some openfirmware
loader hack, where I see you booting to a grub menu that then loads a
initrdthat contains this openfirmwareloader hack that then preceeds to
boot osx for x86apple may not like it but that is what going to
happen.