Re: [SLUG] DSL satelite

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jun 21 2005 - 01:00:10 EDT

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, michael hast wrote:

> I've got an old, beat-up, and yet fully functional Toshiba Satelite
> 105cs that I've been looking for a use for. The other day, I was
> playing with DSL--the 50mb OS--and it hit me! That's the answer! The
> only problem is, it's got no cd rom. It only has a 3.5 on it. I'm
> trying to figure out how to load it with DSL and possibly another couple
> of small apps like Kstars so I can take it out with the telescope. If
> anybody has any insight or experience in this area, I'm all ears. If
> I'm better off pitching the thing and starting from scratch, so be it,
> but I hope that there is a low-cost way to make this old notebook
> useful. Thanks, Michael

USB solid state or CD drive? PCMCIA ethernet card? Surgery involving a
2.5" -> 3.5" IDE adapter? Sneakernet? I vote for the USB solid-state
drive if the laptop has a USB port (even USB 1.1 is better than nothing).
If not, I'd go for a PCMCIA ethernet card.

An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all. -Oscar Wilde