{SPAM?} Re: {SPAM?} Re: [SLUG] internet for my little boy.

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Sat Jul 02 2005 - 17:47:44 EDT

Robert Snyder wrote:

> michael hast wrote:
>
>> Robert Snyder wrote:
>>

>>> I am not a parent so I feel wierd saying this, but I feel it must be
>>> said as I watch and take care of little...
>>>
>>> ...An offline pc is safe pc.
>>>

>> Robert, I see your point, but I feel that it deserves a respectful
>> rebuttal. Society has these kids growing up... ...him any good.
>> It's a difficult balancing act to be a good, effective parent.
>

> Here is the rebutal to your rebutal. I agree that there are times
> that he should not feel that you are watching... ...debian junior
> section might have something to aid in your content blocking quest.

    It sounds like in all actuality, we are on the same page. I think
that you are suggesting the very same thing that I've had in mind the
entire time, we were just describing it from opposite sides. I
certainly don't want to set him loose with it and trust the software to
do the work, I would just like to have security measures there for the
outside chance that he's been corrupting his little brain for three
seconds while I'm walking from room to room. Maybe my best bet is to
disable the network when I am unavailable to supervise. There will
inevitably be times that he wants to play frozen bubble or enigma when
I'm cooking dinner and...

Maybe I need to hold off on all of it until I can set up a home office,
and set up all three boxes in there, so when we are doing internet time,
that's the time for it. I would still want to set up some kind of lock
on his machine specifically, so that he couldn't slip in there and go
nuts. Maybe I could just put a lock on the door and have an organized
allocated wan time. That would probably be good for my wife an I as
well. Then, we could literally be looking over his shoulder, but it
would be logical that we were doing so. It wouldn't be intrusive, or
like a breach of privacy, but he would know that he was being held
accountable, too.
    I think that's what we'll do. It seems to be the simplest and
easiest solution to the entire deal. We are redoing our middle bedroom
to be his bedroom, and his current room is next--home office being the
goal. It would be a logical way to explain it to him too that he could
not have the internet right now. That way he could use the meantime to
get used to the desktop enviornment and the way apps are set up, and
once we get everything hooked up in there, he would get his own internet
and email. I like the vnc idea. Tightvnc is a tiny file, too, isn't
it? That's a plus since his hd is just a 6.4.
    Yeah, I really wasn't going to try to throw a machine with active
browsers that were a little limited at him and say, "Here, have fun!"
And believe it or not, I appreciate your concern, because a lot of
parents would make that very mistake in the same way that on Monday they
will fill the kid's hands with explosives and 1800-degree magnesium/iorn
flammables and say, "Here, have fun!" There is backing off, and then
there is being stupid. I am attempting the former and definately not
the latter.