Re: {SPAM?} Re: {SPAM?} Re: [SLUG] internet for my little boy.

From: Robert Snyder (res03q8w@gte.net)
Date: Sat Jul 02 2005 - 23:06:15 EDT

> Maybe I need to hold off on all of it until I can set up a home
> office, and set up all three boxes in there, so when we are doing
> internet time, that's the time for it. I would still want to set up
> some kind of lock on his machine specifically, so that he couldn't
> slip in there and go nuts. Maybe I could just put a lock on the door
> and have an organized allocated wan time. That would probably be good
> for my wife an I as well. Then, we could literally be looking over
> his shoulder, but it would be logical that we were doing so. It
> wouldn't be intrusive, or like a breach of privacy, but he would know
> that he was being held accountable, too.

There are some pretty impressive host file list out there that block
things like porn site and pop up ad servers that are ment for windows
but easily work in Linux where all these site simply point back to
localhost. Kinda of a simple first step to take.

> I think that's what we'll do. It seems to be the simplest and
> easiest solution to the entire deal. We are redoing our middle
> bedroom to be his bedroom, and his current room is next--home office
> being the goal. It would be a logical way to explain it to him too
> that he could not have the internet right now. That way he could use
> the meantime to get used to the desktop enviornment and the way apps
> are set up, and once we get everything hooked up in there, he would
> get his own internet and email. I like the vnc idea. Tightvnc is a
> tiny file, too, isn't it? That's a plus since his hd is just a 6.4.

Tightvnc it is small but also the big thing about it is that it optimize
to use as little bandwith as possible so the machine is not tied up
computer resources like other vnc servers do.

> Yeah, I really wasn't going to try to throw a machine with active
> browsers that were a little limited at him and say, "Here, have fun!"
> And believe it or not, I appreciate your concern, because a lot of
> parents would make that very mistake in the same way that on Monday
> they will fill the kid's hands with explosives and 1800-degree
> magnesium/iorn flammables and say, "Here, have fun!" There is backing
> off, and then there is being stupid. I am attempting the former and
> definately not the latter.

See that is where you had me scared as I thought you were just going to
stick a computer and his room and say here have fun as I see so many
clients do that. I lock down there kids pc with different things and I
always say what I do is not a perminate kids are smart they will
eventually get around it. I try not to alienate any one but it I am
amazed how much people belive there kid not going to accidently stumble
on inapporiate material.(kids there 50/50 some look for it on purpose
aka teenagers/pre-teens and other accidentally come across it like a
misspelling of barbie.com ) So sorry for assuming that you were in the
later part there.

Rob