Re: [SLUG] simple suse question

From: William Coulter (wrcoulter30@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jul 03 2005 - 09:35:18 EDT

--- Bob Stia <rnr@sanctum.com> wrote:

> On Saturday 02 July 2005 22:04, William Coulter wrote:
> > Today I installed SUSE 9.3 and it went smoothly. After the install,
> > I did an update through YAST. I thought that it would do the same
> > thing as YUM or up2date but I didn't get the same results. Let me
> > explain. For example: I ran YUM with fc3. Firefox 1.0.1 was
> > installed and when I did an up2date it installed version 1.0.4. This
> > was great. Now on the other hand, firefox 1.0.1 is installed but
> > when I ran YAST, version 1.0.1 was still installed.
> >
> > What I want to know is, why didn't it upgrade firefox to 1.0.4 and
> > how do I do this?
> >
> William, welcome to SuSE. You updated after install with YOU (Yast
> Online Update) I presume. Basically those are security updates, bug
> fixes, etc. for changes in the packages since they were published on
> the CD/DVD. It is not like a YUM.
>
> YOU is not designed to upgrade existing packages. (Although there is a
> way to do that by adding mirrors and altering the way Yast looks for
> packages ) I have never done it. If you want to keep your new SuSE
> right up on the the latest packages I would recommend that you install
> apt-get, or YUM, if you prefer. Never used YUM, love apt-get.
>
> Bob S.

Thank you. I am glad to be one. Yeah, I did an Online Update. Then why have a great update
system that doesn't update all packages to the newest package?

Can I change YOU to something else? I will read and find a way to change the mirror. How do I
install YUM or apt-get? Does this mean that I will not be using YAST any more?

Also, I saw in YAST another option. It is called Install and Remove Software. I have tried it
before but it looks for the cd. Is there a way to make it look for web site or a folder?

William