Re: [SLUG] simple suse question

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Sun Jul 03 2005 - 23:55:21 EDT

On Sunday 03 July 2005 09:35, William Coulter wrote:
> --- Bob Stia <rnr@sanctum.com> wrote:
> > On Saturday 02 July 2005 22:04, William Coulter wrote:
..........<snip some>...........
> > > What I want to know is, why didn't it upgrade firefox to 1.0.4
> > > and how do I do this?
> >
> > William, welcome to SuSE. You updated after install with YOU (Yast
> > Online Update) I presume. Basically those are security updates, bug
> > fixes, etc. for changes in the packages since they were published
> > on the CD/DVD. It is not like a YUM.
> >
> > YOU is not designed to upgrade existing packages. (Although there
> > is a way to do that by adding mirrors and altering the way Yast
> > looks for packages ) I have never done it. If you want to keep your
> > new SuSE right up on the the latest packages I would recommend that
> > you install apt-get, or YUM, if you prefer. Never used YUM, love
> > apt-get.
> >
> > Bob S.
>
> Thank you. I am glad to be one. Yeah, I did an Online Update. Then
> why have a great update system that doesn't update all packages to
> the newest package?

They will probably get around to that one day when the adopt an upgrade
feature to YOU as well as their present update feature. AFAIK YOU was
specifically designed for the security stuff and bug fixes.

SuSE publishes a distro-one time. Maintains it for problems. Not
upgrading of package releases. The next release will then have the
current stable package upgrades included in it, ie: like the Firefox
you talked about.

> Can I change YOU to something else? I will read and find a way to
> change the mirror. How do I install YUM or apt-get? Does this mean
> that I will not be using YAST any more?

Don't have to change or eliminate YOU. It is a valuable tool for
security & bugs. As stated, you can make YOU do upgrades by customizing
it but in my opinion it is better to use any of the other tools for
upgrading, like Red Carpet, apt-get, or YUM. You can install any one or
all of them and use all of them in conjunction with YOU. Kind of
redundant to have them all though. My favorite is apt-get. I have used
it since SuSE 8.0. along with YOU. They really do different things but
there is some overlap. All of the packages that SuSE produces end up in
the apt-get repositories. Mostly all of the SuSE packages are produced
by SuSE employees and then put up in the repositories. Then the latest
upgraded and stable packages would be used in the next distro. (9.4?)
Firefox would not normally be upgraded by SuSE, it is after all a
Mozilla package which is just included with the distro. If you wanted
that upgrade you would need to get it from one of the repositories or
the Mozilla website. SuSE may "susify" a package (work better with the
present kernel?) but would not "upgrade" it. That is Mozilla's place.

I really don't want to sound like I am pitching apt-get here but I find
it to be the most simple, clean, & elegant solution to keep my system
right up to date with the latest packages. Take a look at apt4rpm on
the web. There are many how-to's and FAQ's. Beware though, that if you
decide to use it the packages range from stable to bleeding edge stuff.
Just be careful about what you use.

> Also, I saw in YAST another option. It is called Install and Remove
> Software. I have tried it before but it looks for the cd. Is there
> a way to make it look for web site or a folder?

Yes to all of the above. You just need to do a little research and
configure/implement it. The feature of looking for the CD is important
because you will invariably find that you want to install packages that
were not installed in the original installation. (apt-get can also do
that) Take a look at the CD and you will be amazed at what is on there.
The DVD has even more.

So you see it wasn't just a simple SuSE question after all. Good luck on
finding your favorite way to keep your system upgraded. If there are
more questions; just ask.

Bob S.