Re: [SLUG] Silent Power Supply

From: Andrew Barber (tuorum@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jul 03 2005 - 18:52:27 EDT

I personally can vouch for the Antec Phantom fanless
powersupply. But there is a very high price premium
on it (500W is $200 at CompUSA, 350W is $170 at
newegg.com). In terms of power, it is very clean.
And, I find it to run much cooler than the Antec
TruePower 330 I had. Look at the efficiency numbers
for the powersupply you are interested in. The
Phantom has 86% efficiency. The Silencer 360 Has 74%
efficiency (listed at pcpowercooling.com). The lower
the number, the more energy is wasted as heat.

I also found the fan on my ATI Radeon was going out,
so I got an Aerocool video cooler.
http://www.aerocool.us/p-cooler/vm-101/vm101.htm
These were available at CompUSA, too, but aren't
listed on thier website now. I can't recall the
price. But it works great.

For CPU cooling, I can only say to look for a
Thermaltake SilentChill, if one is available for your
CPU. They work great too. The only main noize I have
now are the 4 harddrives, and they are actually quite
noticable. Everything else is very quite.

BTW, I use this system for my music creation hobby, so
I like it quiet.

Those are personal experience from trying to keep my
system silent.

Oh, and the case is an Antec Super Lanboy (also found
at CompUSA). It's got 2 120mm fans front and back. I
am running the rear fan at 7volts (cut the wires and
ran positive to 12V, negative to 5V), which helps cut
the noise.

Why CompUSA and not the web? Instant gratification!
And quick exchanges if needed.

Andy