Re: [SLUG] noisy sound card

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Jul 11 2005 - 18:04:36 EDT

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, Chuck Hast wrote:

> On 7/11/05, Eben King <eben1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> > I replaced my Soundblaster Live! 5.1 with a different one just like it
> > (actually I moved it from the bottom slot to the one above that too), and
> > now there's a hiss + 60 Hz hum in the speakers I hadn't noticed before.
> >
> Check your recepticals that are powering the equipment,

I have a tester, looks like AMP 7543. It has three LEDs in a row, with a
legend, like so:

Hot/Neu reversed

Open hot

Open neu

x x
Hot/Grd rev

 OK
xONx

This came up "OK".

The path is

socket -> UPS -> power strip -> computer

All connections have working grounds.

> if it is not there is sure sounds like you have a ground loop somewhere.

Is that where my speakers and computer have differing ground potentials?
Should I put the speakers on the UPS's power strip, jusd to test? If that's
the case, maybe stick a small capacitor on each connection between them?
Hard to believe a competent electrician would allow a ground loop in one
room...

VIRGO:  All Virgos are extremely friendly and intelligent - except
for you.  Expect a big surprise today when you wind up with your
head impaled upon a stick.  -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_