Re: [SLUG] noisy sound card

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jul 11 2005 - 22:59:19 EDT

On 7/11/05, Eben King <eben1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, Chuck Hast wrote:
>
> > On 7/11/05, Eben King <eben1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> > > I replaced my Soundblaster Live! 5.1 with a different one just like it
> > > (actually I moved it from the bottom slot to the one above that too), and
> > > now there's a hiss + 60 Hz hum in the speakers I hadn't noticed before.
> > >
> > Check your recepticals that are powering the equipment,
>
> I have a tester, looks like AMP 7543. It has three LEDs in a row, with a
> legend, like so:

> Hot/Neu reversed
>

> Open hot

> Open neu
>
> x x
> Hot/Grd rev
>
> OK
> xONx
>
> This came up "OK".

Good...

> The path is
>
> socket -> UPS -> power strip -> computer
>
> All connections have working grounds.
>
> > if it is not there is sure sounds like you have a ground loop somewhere.
>
> Is that where my speakers and computer have differing ground potentials?
> Should I put the speakers on the UPS's power strip, jusd to test? If that's

Yes, that may take care of it. It is always better that all of the power come
from the same point if possible. Also beware of the wall warts which are
easy to plug in reversed at times, should not make any difference but I
suspect that there are internal networks that may allow for improper operation
if reversed. I have seen this many times with the wall power supplies.

> the case, maybe stick a small capacitor on each connection between them?
> Hard to believe a competent electrician would allow a ground loop in one
> room...

May not, but there may be a connection that has worked loose. It happens.
Would not worry about the caps just make sure all of the polarities are correct
and that all of the devices are plugged in correctly.

If that is not the case it may be a noisy power supply, does the card do the
same thing in another machine?

--
Chuck Hast
To paraphrase my flight instructor;