[SLUG] Can't compile on slackware 10.1

From: Matthew Burke (matthew@textbox.net)
Date: Wed Jul 20 2005 - 20:52:01 EDT

I just upgraded my house server from slackware 9.1 to 10.1 and now I
cannot compile anything. When I try to compile a package I get:

matt@cotn:~/nmap-3.81$ ./configure
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C
compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.
matt@cotn:~/nmap-3.81$

(the log says the same thing, cannot create exe)

I also tried installed the package using pkgtool, no good. Anyone have
any idea of what's going on? I have never had any kind of problem like
this on slack before.