[SLUG] Finding employment / What businesses use Linux?

From: Lenny Erwine (lennyerwine@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Aug 07 2005 - 22:08:04 EDT

I just wonder how many in the SLUG group have employment which takes
advantage of their Linux skills...

I had been working as a web developer using DHTML/PHP/Perl/MySQL on a
Linux system where we hosted our own Apache server and provided DNS,
email and spam filtering as well.

I was laid off when the web department was closed back in June and I'm
finding it difficult finding companies who use Linux, who also may
need someone with my skillset.

I am in a position where I can go ahead and get my CompTIA Linux+
certification, but being that none of the interviewers I've talked to
so far even know what Linux is, I'm beginning to wonder if it would
really do me much good in the Tampa Bay area.

My finances are limited and I can either take the Linux+ test or use
the money to get some books and get some schooling (through WIA) and
certifications which center more around the (gasp!) microsoft
languages.

I have seen many job offers for someone who has experience with
ASP.net and C#... At this point, I would just like to continue my
career without having to uproot my whole family and move to Texas or
something.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated!!