Re: [SLUG] hardware issue

From: Alex Harris (nccuss17@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Aug 08 2005 - 14:31:33 EDT

Thing was the system was operating just fine before I removed the cpu
chip. And the only thing that I removed (aside from two fans), was
the cpu chip. So I removed those two fans, when I turned it on the
hard drives spun up, and the remaining fans spun, and the heatsink got
really warm.

I then Powered it down and removed the cpu chip and it's fan, and
powered the system back up, same exact result (minus the hot
heatsink).

Another test I did was to unplug the machine remove the battery, wait
15 seconds (I counted them down), and then put the battery back in,
plugged in the computer and hit the power button, same reaction (hot
heatsink, no beeps, no display).

It's an american megatrends bios (or at least that logo was displayed
at bootup back when it worked).