Re: [SLUG] top / bottom posting / html

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Sun Aug 14 2005 - 16:22:43 EDT

Fun time wasting thread as we'll never actually come to ONE sensus.

On Sunday 14 August 2005 14:11, Ken Elliott wrote:
> >> Often it is easier to read the most current slice of thread at the top
>
> of the page,
>
> Yes, that is why we started top-posting in the mid-1970s.

> >> but M$ is trying to change the way we do everything.
>
> This came about long before MS had an OS. They are actually being
> compatible with old UNIX guys on this one.

But by the time the 90's rolled around I the default settings were mostly
bottom posts. MS made all their s/w top post, whereas Netscape, for example,
bottom posted by default.

I almost always bottom post as I'm not an upside down reader. The only time I
ever end up top posting is when there's a yes/no kind of reply needed, to a
big post. Usually I go out of my way to bottom post.

If we cover many points my replies are interspersed to make it easy to read
the corresponding replies. Old replies gets snipped as they are now redundant
clutter.

But how about html?

I don't allow html emails for security and spam reasons. Some companies
insists on putting you at risk by trying to have you accept html email.

I do not accept them, which is kind of interesting when you have a paying
customer who insists on using it. So I make that a point I cover when a new
company signs up. You cannot send us html emails. So far nobody has dropped
us for it, though some put up a fuss. (Who always turns out to be windows
users.)

The security risk are such that companies like Dell are looking on shipping
windows with it turned off by default.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.