Re: [SLUG] USB drives: removing and reconnecting

From: Tyler Vann-Campbell (tyler.v@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Aug 21 2005 - 18:27:31 EDT

On 8/19/05, Mark Polhamus <meplists@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Sick Twist wrote:
> >
> >> From: Mike Branda <realraccoon@tampabay.rr.com>
> >> To: slug@nks.net
> >> Subject: Re: [SLUG] USB drives: removing and reconnecting
> >> Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 20:13:34 -0400
> >>
> >> The latest 2 versions of SuSE automount it when the usb cord is plugged
> >> in and unmount it when it's pulled. it think it uses the "submount"
> >> package. You might see if you can get it for knoppix or the Deb. Works
> >> great for my digital camera. I'll try swapping the card in the camera
> >> while it's plugged in and see if a viewer refresh shows the new card's
> >> info (after backing up the cards of course). I'll let you know how it
> >> goes.
> >>

> >> Mike Branda Jr.
> >>

> > I am familiar with automatically mounting media but I have never heard
> > of automatically unmounting. Isn't manually unmounting necessary to
> > ensure that the system has finished writing any changes to the device
> > (when the device is writeable of course). How safe is it to just
> > disconnect a digital camera or thumb drive when it is mounted?
>
> (as I understand it) submount automatically unmounts the partition after a
> short period of inactivity, and automatically remounts it when it is
> accessed.
> Unless you are writing to the drive when you pull it all should be well.
>

> -- Mark Polhamus

I'm not sure if Debian Stable has backported any of the following, but I've
found the "Project Utopia" method of mounting and unmounting to be
nauseatingly simple. Again, if you have access to a 2.6.X kernel, hal,
d-bus, and udev automounting is a relatively simple affair. Command line
unmounting is usually as simple as "umount <mount point>"

All the project utopia tools are in Debian Unstable if you can stomach an
upgrade.

Tyler