[SLUG] SFD issues

From: Jeffrey Kroll (jkroll@pboa.com)
Date: Tue Aug 23 2005 - 11:09:19 EDT

Sluglist,

        I have some issues with whats going on with SFD in
Sarasota/Bradenton area and the people that are trying to organize it. I
know most of the slug list doesn't need to read this however I feel as
if this e-mail will help everyone and clear up some things throughout
the galaxy (and all I have to say to that is 42).

        I feel as if everyone that tried to organize this event in the
Sarasota / Bradenton area is bashing each other because of a few
conflicts... Let me list them out for you:

1) WeeRobby has his heart set on having a(n) WiFi / Wired connection at
the SFD event.
2) B&N was the best location for a Sarasota event to be held and that
obviously fell through.
3) Lack of interest from a majority of the members from the
Sarasota/Bradenton Slug group.
4) Everything (Planning, meeting, task assignment) being put off till
this "mysterious" Sept. 1st meeting.

Now I will address each issue individually:

1) WeeRobby Snyder is a WiFi whore. He loves his laptop. He carry's his
laptop with him every where ... Possibly even when he has to use the
restroom. He is always looking for a WiFi connection and complains when
no decent WiFi connection is available - (Eric and myself can attest to
this). I agree with WeeRobby, there does need to be some kind of
connectivity to the Internet.. However this is a hardship we may have to
live w/o because of lack of preperation.

2) B&N leaving us out in the cold - I am rather upset with B&N for the
fact that this is a community event and the only way they would have let
us gather and spread our vast knowledge would be to sell a book and
spend the whole entire time pushing a book off the shelf. We could have
pushed Robin's book but this wouldn't exactly go w/ the SFD event --
but at the same time it would. I feel as if this is a hard subject and
the cause of a few problems as we now are having to merge with the
Bradenton location to enjoy the SFD event.

3) I know this event is completely a voluntary effort and no one is
going to be paid for spending a good majority of your Saturday pushing /
helping people to understand what Free Software can do for them and the
other alternatives they have to a monopoly operating system marketplace.
I feel like there is nothing anyone can say to pull more people into the
event at this time as we have already passed the most recent slug
meeting and will not be able to try to recruit anyone else as the next
meeting falls after the SFD event.

4) I know a few people are rather angered by the lack of planning and
pre-SFD event meetings not being worked on. I found out through the
argument over WeeRobby and another member of the sluglist about this
Sept. 1st mystery meeting -- where everything is supposed to be fixed
and resolved in one night and all is supposed to go smoooth at the SFD
on the 10th and not make us out to be stupid foolish children.

        I know that next year WeeRobby has promised to start way earlier
in the year (Something like January?) and try to promote the local SFD
event for Sarasota and try to secure a location earlier and make sure
things flow smoother than this years bumpy road. I agree that things
need to be started earlier in the year ... But that's not the only thing
I would have changed. I would really like to make sure we have more
giveaways and possibly a raffle ticket event/item(s) to sell off and
with the proceeds donting a open source project(s) / company(s).

-- As a side note I would like to volenteer my time and efforts with the
pwned.net mailserver to being setting up a mailing list to stop tons of
e-mails (Which I have received a few) from going offlist and from
stopping other people from knowing completely whats going on. Basicly -
A simple way of tracking changes / ideas and making sure everyone knows
whats going on and having a centralized location for the event aswell as
taking it off the Slug list as it really does not belong here.

----
Name:   Jeffrey Kroll
E-mail: echo "klspmmAqcpb/dpn" | perl -pe 's/(.)/chr(ord($1)-1)/ge'