Re: [SLUG] SFD issues

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Aug 23 2005 - 12:30:58 EDT

On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 11:09:19AM -0400, Jeffrey Kroll wrote:

> Sluglist,
>
> I have some issues with whats going on with SFD in
> Sarasota/Bradenton area and the people that are trying to organize it. I
> know most of the slug list doesn't need to read this however I feel as
> if this e-mail will help everyone and clear up some things throughout
> the galaxy (and all I have to say to that is 42).

<snip>

> Now I will address each issue individually:
>
> 1) WeeRobby Snyder is a WiFi whore. He loves his laptop. He carry's his
> laptop with him every where ... Possibly even when he has to use the
> restroom.

Is this really necessary? You could express his affection for wifi
without insulting him. It's flamebait. This is why I'm not keen to have
this traffic on the SLUG list.

<snip>

> 3) I know this event is completely a voluntary effort and no one is
> going to be paid for spending a good majority of your Saturday pushing /
> helping people to understand what Free Software can do for them and the
> other alternatives they have to a monopoly operating system marketplace.
> I feel like there is nothing anyone can say to pull more people into the
> event at this time as we have already passed the most recent slug
> meeting and will not be able to try to recruit anyone else as the next
> meeting falls after the SFD event.

Welcome to the world of volunteerism. It's a thankless job you often do
alone, because you think it's the right thing to do. I must say, though,
that it doesn't help get people there when what they mostly hear is
bickering.

<snip>

> But that's not the only thing
> I would have changed. I would really like to make sure we have more
> giveaways and possibly a raffle ticket event/item(s) to sell off and
> with the proceeds donting a open source project(s) / company(s).

It seems to me from reading list traffic that there are quite a few
giveaways coming from vendors, or being generated by members. How many
people do you actually think you're going to get at the event?

> -- As a side note I would like to volenteer my time and efforts with the
> pwned.net mailserver to being setting up a mailing list to stop tons of
> e-mails (Which I have received a few) from going offlist and from
> stopping other people from knowing completely whats going on. Basicly -
> A simple way of tracking changes / ideas and making sure everyone knows
> whats going on and having a centralized location for the event aswell as
> taking it off the Slug list as it really does not belong here.

Indeed. Isn't there a wiki for this I've been hearing about? Almost
anyone can create a temporary email list, but for events where you're in
a time crunch, the phone is the best tool. Private emails are sometimes
adequate.

Here's a bit of advice for people planning events like this. Have
someone take charge immediately, plan the event, and delegate subtasks
to others. It's preferable that the person taking charge have an amiable
and persuasive personality, not someone who is contentious or
argumentative. And if people want to go off in their own direction, as
long as it doesn't harm the event, let them. They'll do their best work
when they're working on something they're passionate about. Don't be
stubborn and one-sided about what you think the event should be. If
you're paying people, you can tell them what to do. Otherwise, you can
only encourage or discourage them, and hope they contribute positively
to the event. But beware that your event may not, in the end, be exactly
the way you envisioned it. Also, not everyone needs to know everything
that's going on. Only the head person needs to know. Other people only
need to know about their individual tasks and how they might interface
or interfere with others.

How about we just do our jobs, stop bickering, and get on with the
event?

Paul