Re: [SLUG] Mandrake 10.1

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sat Aug 27 2005 - 18:18:08 EDT

On Sat, Aug 27, 2005 at 03:14:14PM -0400, Ron Youvan wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> I have been having a fit installing Mandrake 10.1 (CD's from down loaded
> ISO images)
> for some time. Won't fit on a 2 gig drive, won't boot off of a SCSI. (8.4
> gig drive)
> So I just installed it on a HP "netserver E60" with a 20 gig drive and 64
> megs of RAM.
> It said: you have limited resources (the first time I have seen this
> related to LINUX)
> so it only installed the X system and a virtual console, not gnome or
> it's programs.
> It never asked for the second (or third) disk.
> I checked everything on the left column except for "game console"
> and on the right only
> gnome, no servers kde or "other". (Mandrake users should understand what
> this "install
> selection" stuff is)

I googled for this, and can't find a definitive answer either. However,
I'd guess that Mandrake wants more than 64M of memory. Not surprising.
"Kitchen sink" GUIs like KDE and GNOME require ever more memory to run
comfortably. Gone are the days when you could install a Linux distro in
12M of memory (yes, there are still a few, but only a few). I found one
reference to Mandriva 9X PPC needing 64M, and I wouldn't be surprised
that 10.1 wants more like 128M or 256M.

I'd suggest SuSE if you can't get Mandriva working, but I found a
website which lists the requirements for SuSE 9.2 at 128M. If this
person is a real Windows person, you might consider Linspire or Xandros
(paid distros), but obviously you'd have to check minimum requirements
for those. Any chance of adding another 64M stick to his machine?

Debian's a great distro, and the easiest to upgrade. But I don't know
that I'd recommend it for a hardcore Windows person.

Paul