Re: [SLUG] wifi card driver

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sat Aug 27 2005 - 18:23:27 EDT

On Sat, Aug 27, 2005 at 05:59:24PM -0400, botteman wrote:

> First prerequisite from the installation web page you recommend:
> the install requires that my kernel be 2.4.26 or later.
>
> I've got 2.4.24-x1
> Is this a (an insurmountable) problem?

Not if Xandros has a later kernel available. I don't know how Xandros
does it, but you might see if you have Synaptic installed. If so, check
and see if a later kernel is available. But if it recommends something
later than you have, you'll have to upgrade.

> Another prerequisite:
> "Make sure there is a link to the kernel source from the modules
> directory. /lib/modules/VERSION/build should be a link to the
> kernel source, where VERSION is the version of the kernel you
> are running. If there is no link, you'll get an error at the
> make install step. To create a link, assuming the kernel sources
> are present, use the command
>
> ln -s /usr/src/linux-<kernel-version> /lib/modules/VERSION/build "
>
> Where does this link show up?
> Where can I look to see if the link is already there?

There are several ways to do this, depending on the tools you're used
to. But simplest is probably to go to a console or xterm and type:

ls -l /lib/modules/VERSION/build

(replacing VERSION with your kernel version). This should show you if it
exists, if it's a symlink, and if the link is set to the proper
directory.

Paul