Re: [SLUG] US Robotics set up

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Sep 01 2005 - 10:13:24 EDT

On Wednesday 31 August 2005 10:29 pm, Richard Smoot wrote:
> On Wednesday 31 August 2005 17:21, SOTL wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> > I am sort of in a pickle of how to do this.
> >
> > If you will recall I have two computers that have the same modem in them,
> > one of which will dial out and one which will not dial out. The one that
> > will not dial out had a system crash and then was used on a network
> > system for a while and with one monitor and two computers I have been
> > slow in working on. Anyway the issue with the modem is that the system is
> > not configured for the modem. Both are US Robotics 56k v2 PCI. Well to
> > simplify things I finally started working on this issue again. So, I
> > checked the driver being used for the functioning computer to be ttyS1.
> > Now my idea was to simply copy ttyS0 and ttyS1 from one computer into the
> > other and see if that solved the problem.
> >
> > How does one do this? That is copy ttyS0 or ttyS1 to another computer.
> > I have done the following copied ttyS0 and ttyS1 from dev/ttyS0 and
> > dev/S1 to /home/trunk/ttySo and /home/trunk/ttyS1 so I can not mess up
> > system files. I have changed permission on both files to all.
> > As root using MC I have tried to copy both files to My_Document of the MS
> > side of this dual box and received error: Operation Not Permitted (1). I
> > then tried command line and received the same error.
> > I tried e-mailing the files out and received similar errors.
> > I tried copying the files to a floppy. Files show as being copied to
> > floppy but two other computers say files were not coppied. I then
> > inserted blank floppie in, mounted and same files were shown to exist on
> > blank floppie. I have tried CD burner but burner does not recognize
> > existance of files. I have not tried dd ing files as I am not familiar
> > with that command, I do have procedure for dd ing written down but from
> > attempts to read floppie from command line and showing existance of files
> > on blank floppie suspect that this will not be fruitful.
> >
> > Also, floppies being used are formated as fat32 same as file system for
> > MS side which is also formated as fat32 but this should not my attempting
> > to transfer by e-mail attachment.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Frank
>
> Which distro are you using?
Well since this is my test box I have a number of setups all on individual HD
in drawers. Systems include
SuSE 9.2 and 10.0 Beta2
Mandrake 10.1 and LE
Redhat 7.3

The operating dial up system which one can connect to the internet with has
Red Hat 7.3.

All have the same issue which is identical to when Red Hat 6.0 was set up on
existing operating system.

> Which dialer are you using?

Kppp

On all systems. This is what is being used on the RH 7.3 system.

> I have just gone thru getting dial-up internet going for my brotherinlaw
> with SUSE 9.3 Pro and a US Robotics Sportster external modem with the
> Kinternet Dialer interface. I also got it to work with KPPP, but only in
> root mode. Google search "Dial-up Linux" results were usefull.
>
> Richard Smoot

Thanks for asking the questions but I was thinking of suggestions as to how to
copy the file when I made the posting and ask the question. Not in how to set
up the modem drivers as I had assumed that that question would only be
applicable is copying the file which should be rather straight forward was
not successful.

Thanks
Frank