Re: [SLUG] US Robotics set up

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Thu Sep 01 2005 - 15:32:34 EDT

On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 22:07 -0400, Kwan Lowe wrote:
> SOTL wrote:
>
> > How does one do this? That is copy ttyS0 or ttyS1 to another computer.
> > I have done the following copied ttyS0 and ttyS1 from dev/ttyS0 and dev/S1 to
> > /home/trunk/ttySo and /home/trunk/ttyS1 so I can not mess up system files.
>
> A couple things are problematic... creating the ttys0 will likely not
> fix the problem. That said, you need to use the mknod command or
> /dev/MAKEDEV to create the ttyS0 device node. Depending on the age of
> your system you may need to consult the Linux Kernel Documentation to
> determine the major and minor numbers for your particular hardware.
> Otherwise, check the manpage for MAKEDEV and mknod for usage.
>
> To fix the problem you'll probably need to build the device module. Post
> more info on the modem chipset and your distribution.

Frank,

Kwan is right on this. The reason you are getting errors and failures
is you are trying to copy a dev node which is wrong. You probably need
to build/copy the proper device driver (usually foo.o in 2.4 and foo.ko
in 2.6) module and have the proper modem strings... etc. Post the model
number/chip info from the modem and we'll see what we can do.

I just ran through your previous thread and all you say is "The modem is
a PCI internal US Robotics 56k v2 modem".

Do you have the specific chipset name and or model number like
"USR5600"?? How about a Device ID from hwinfo --dump-db 1?? US
Robotics Vendor ID is 0x16EC. Or how about hwscan --list --modem?? Or
does the device show up in kinfocenter under PCI??

We need some better info in order to tell you what to do or even to find
out what files you can copy from another machine.

Thanks.

Mike Branda Jr.