Re: [SLUG] Marketing

From: Mavrick (icebergwaltz@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Sep 07 2005 - 09:10:18 EDT

On 9/6/05, Bill Shaw <bill.shaw@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's only disturbing if you think I was being serious. Education certainly
> is key but you can't tell me you've never had one person tell you "I don't
> care what the problem is...I just want it fixed" or something to that
> effect. If it's someone you're doing a favor for then they don't get help
> until they're willing to listen. If they're paying it's their choice. The
> vast majority of people don't think like the people here. They know they
> bought a Dell and it's not performing well. They don't know(or care like
> above) that the problem is caused by security flaws in IE.

Amen to that! This list is full of computer enthusiasts. Sometimes we forget
that the VAST (and I mean VAST!) majority of people out there think of
computers as nothing more than tools to get things done faster and more
efficiently. By way of example, I myself am not an electrical engineer. I do
however use a drill now and then on some projects around the house. If that
drill stops working, I don't really care that some capacitor in the case
just blew or that there is a flaw in the armature of the motor. All I know
is that it doesn't work and I need one that does. So I either go and get it
fixed, or more than likely, I buy a new one. To most people, their computer
is nothing more than a power tool, and they only care about one thing: that
it works. For those of us who are not only enthusiasts, but rely on the IT
field for their livelyhood, we should welcome this thinking for it keeps us
in a job. If everyone out there with a desktop or a laptop knew as much as
some of us on this list know (only because we want to learn it), we would be
part of the 4.9% of the population standing in unemployment lines.
It may frustrate some people, but I for one welcome this thinking as it
benefits me and my family. The Great American Experiment hard at work! Gotta
love it!

Cheers, Mav