Re: [SLUG] WRT54G (was Marketing)

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Wed Sep 07 2005 - 16:10:13 EDT

Pete Theisen wrote:

> Ian C. Blenke wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> el-cheapo Linksys WRT54G
>
> Is this a good unit? They use this one and a Symantec VPN 200 where I am
> at the moment, someone else's wireless g. I have to be right in the room
> to get a signal, down the hall in my own workspace it dies.

It works well for me. The broadcom reference design has a number of open
implementations, Linksys seems to have the most inexpensive. As for
firmware support, I recommend "upgrading" to another WRT distribution
for various reasons.

    dd-wrt - http://www.dd-wrt.com/
    FreeMan - http://wrt54g.serwer.net/
    openwrt - http://openwrt.org/

The default transmit strength can be "turned up" a bit from the default
firmware that comes with the Linksys (there is a real limit, of course,
but turning up the transmit strength from 30 to 80 or so really does
seem to help).

Also, with the appropriate antenna, you can focus things a bit to
strengthen transmission through thick walls or other obstacles.

> At home I just have the Westell whatever that verizon provides, weird
> shaped little bugger. Of course the machine itself is running guarddog.

The nice thing about using something based on OpenSource tech is the
ability to flash your own firmware to do whatever you want - you no
longer need to run a firewall on your machine if the AP is acting as a
solid firewall with appropriate WPA wireless security.

- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net> <ian@blenke.com> http://ian.blenke.com