RE: [SLUG] books/ref. material

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Oct 10 2005 - 07:34:52 EDT

MH>> What books would you gents recomend to someone who feels like
MH>> they are hitting a wall on their way to getting deep?

It looks like you are getting good advice from several people, so I'd like
to suggest a specific book:

Linux Administration: A Beginner's Guide
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0072225629/002-8018040-4598462?v=glance&n=2
83155&s=books&v=glance

This book is designed for the Windows administrator that is moving to Linux.

This is a good starting place. It covers a lot of ground and is far from a
beginners guide. It assumes you are well experienced in computers and
networking, and is thus misnamed. But it is a great base and will have you
setting up file shares, printer shares, web services, DNS, mail, etc. It
does have some Red Hat specific stuff, but tries to stay pretty generic.
That said, I'd rather have a distro-specific book like this one as it does
leave you scratching your head from time-to-time, looking for where a file
is located on _your_ distro.

After this book, almost anything else I've needed has been on the web.

Ken Elliott