Re: [SLUG] books/ref. material

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Mon Oct 10 2005 - 09:19:30 EDT

michael hast wrote:
> I want to learn how to run NFS and Samba as well as the emulators. I
> would like to better familiarize myself with root commands and the
> basics of programming. I want to be able to build my own distro. So, I
> think I'll be picking up a copy of Knoppix Hacks, and I wondered what
> everyone else would recomend taking some time with. I plan on picking
> up several books that I can absorb right off the bat, and hang on to for
> reference guides, and as I read them, I anticipate getting more as well.

Books that were useful to me include "Running Linux" and "Unix in a
Nutshell". For the latter I'll also mention that many of the Unix
commands are so damned useful, but sometimes so obscure that it's a good
idea just to read the descriptions so you'll at least know the command
exists. IMHO, that's half the battle already.