Re: [SLUG] Before I buy another MOBO

From: Robert Snyder (res03q8w@gte.net)
Date: Mon Oct 10 2005 - 23:30:44 EDT

John Brown wrote:

>Thanks, Logan
>On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 19:34, Logan Tygart wrote:
>

>>On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 19:18 -0400, John Brown wrote:
>>

>>>Hello Sluggers,
>>>Annoying event:
>>>Last week a perfectly good Fedora Core 3 install went South. The system
>>>lost the connection with the network shared printer.
>>>

>>Wow. A lot of vagaries with your problems. How are your hard drives?
>>Do you have plenty of swap to match your memory? Post your system's
>>details for an accurate diagnosis.
>>
>>The Logan
>>

>The all new 3 months ago.
>Hardware:
>Mobo:BIOSTAR M7NCG 400 Socket A (Socket 462) NVIDIA nForce2 IGP
>Ram: CORSAIR ValueSelect 512MB 184-Pin SDRAM DDR 333 (PC 2700) (x2)
>HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200 120GB
>CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2700+ Thoroughbred 333MHz FSB
>Current OS: Fedora Core 4
>Swap: 1024 MB
>Home: 40 Gig.
>
>Does this help?

Hmm lets point out there could of gone wrong

A. Biostar, that screams junk but that is my own personal opinoin
B. Have you run memtest to make sure that there are no memory errors and
if they are test the same memory in a 2nd machine to rule out any
memory/chipset compatibility issues
C. Have you tried Ubuntu or even Knoppix live cds to see what is going
on they are very good about hardware!

Personally Nvidia nforce chipsets and linux are not my favorite
combonation but hey to each his own.