Re: [SLUG] proxy/gateway/n'stuff

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Oct 22 2005 - 13:07:36 EDT

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005, michael hast wrote:

> How much processing power and memory should I have to set up a proxy
> server/gateway-router for my home network? Would a 500MB processor
> w/~300MB ram do it? Are there any pros or cons to beefing up the power?
> If I should set up such a deal, would I be able to double it as a web/mail
> server, or would I be better off using a different machine for that
> purpose? I'm sure that all of you can tell that I am limited in these
> arts, so what kind of a quest do I have in front of me to achieve such
> goals? Thank you in advance.

Well, I used a 486-66 dx/2 with <1G HD and <100MB RAM, but that was with no
X, kernel 2.2, not handling any services but IP routing and DHCP for 4-8
clients AFAIR and old router SW. Its load was almost always 0.00. I'd say,
an old, slow, small machine is fine for the task. Maybe one that's too slow
for general use.

Q: What kind of modem did Jimi Hendrix use? A: A purple Hayes.